Thursday, October 30, 2008

Happy Birthday Ione

My Grandma, Ione would have been 80 years old today. She passed from this life nearly one month before this milestone, on September 16, 2008.

The funeral services were bittersweet. Bitter because we said goodbye to someone so loved and important to us in our lives, but sweet because she lived a happy, successful, and full life and all but one of her 28 grandchildren and 3 of her 29 great-grandchildren were in attendance!

Now how is that for posterity?

Her grandsons carried her to her resting place...

... and we bid our adieus.

Papa with his 4 children.

Papa and I. His strength through all this truly amazes me.

I visited the cemetery last week and was happy to find her headstone in place. It's beautiful and looks like one she would have chosen herself.


It's strange to visit the place of her rest because I know although her body is there, she is with me all the time. It's a peaceful place to visit, but the peace in my heart that comes from knowing the Plan of Happiness supersedes all. Tonight a few of us will meet at HomeTown Buffet (one of her favorites) to celebrate her day.... and I know she'll be there with us... in spirit.

2 comments:

Alicia said...

Thank you for sharing, Holly!

Mandy said...

Thanks for posting this Holly! I really enjoyed seeing Ione's headstone! Thanks!