Thursday, February 28, 2008

My Husband the Hunter

Saturday morning Jeff got up early and ventured into the Southern Arizona deserts near Oracle with a buddy from our ward in search of a Javelina hog (aka- hunting). They took a 4-wheeler and a few guns and came back with this:

Considering Jeff is from Utah and grew up hunting only deer and elk, this was obviously his first Javelina hunt and he got one!

Nice teeth, eh?

It only took them a half day and 1 shot to get this hog. Jeff's aim was right on apparently because as they were gutting this pig they realized the heart was blown apart. Lovely, isn't it? Such a manly hobby that I will never understand. The best part was when Jeff got home and walked in the door asking, "Hey honey, what do you want me to do with this hog in the garage?" (Excuse me? were my thoughts exactly.) It was his way of announcing that he was home and that he got one... and I went out to take a look. No doubt, a dead javelina lay in my garage waiting for me to decide what to do with it. (Luckily Corbin was napping and never really saw it... scary!) Fortunately for me a friend of the family who smokes javelina meat and enjoys the taste wanted it, so Jeff threw him in a cooler and stuffed him with ice and he's gone... for good! Jeff really wanted to taste the meat because he heard it was very good for you so he went over and brought some home.

7 comments:

Moss Family said...

I still have some in the fridge if there is anyone that would like to taste it.

Anonymous said...

I'll pass, thanks. I only have one question... did you use your white elephant gift? Surely if it works on a deer it would work on a javelina! :)

Moss Family said...

I didn't have it with me and I will say I would have been a lot happier if I did. Because that part of the job was a "REAL PAIN IN THE BUTT!!!".

Unknown said...

Cool... Does the meat taste good, I've never tried it? I would like to taste it. Did you buy your tag over the counter or did you get drawn for the hunt? I've wanted to hunt javelina myself but haven't attempted it so far.

Alicia said...

Very interesting the things guys enjoy doing...I am just relieved that he didnt expect YOU to prepare that thing! Glad Jeff had fun and was successful...

Kate said...

Those pictures are so special. :) I'm glad Jeff had fun, but javelinas are sure ugly. ANd I'm glad you will not have a javelina head on your living room wall.

Anonymous said...

Jeff I have to say that looks disgusting!! I bet it was fun to shoot guns. The closest Paul gets to hunting is Call Of Duty 4.