Wednesday, September 29, 2010

mmmm....summer harvest!

We are so lucky/blessed to live in a beautifully landscaped home where our landlord not only does all the work, but also lets us harvest the fruit trees! All year we've been watching the changing trees in the backyard and anticipating the summer harvest. We actually planted our own tomatoes (roma and grape varieties) this year and they make a great afternoon snack when the boys are playing outside.
Our plum tree turned out a TON of plums this year.... compared to ZERO last summer! I wasn't sure what to do with all those plums so I gave a bunch away. Next year I'll probably bottle them?Then there was the peach tree. MMmmm....just looking at those peaches made me salivate.
The tree wasn't pruned properly last season so it started looking like a weeping willow tree by the end of August. By the middle of September the peaches were PERFECT so I got out the bucket and the ladder and put the boys to work!
The boys didn't mind one bit. They love to help... and they love to climb the ladder.
With Quinton's green shirt and peachy-colored cheeks he was near-camouflaged in that tree!
Corbin picked most of the peaches. He was a good inspector, checking each and every peach to make sure there were no holes or bugs in it.
He picked them and sorted them to perfection!

The Saturday after we harvested our peach tree my Relief Society held a canning day. About a dozen women gathered in a nearby backyard and we bottled all our own fruit. I bottled 12 quarts of peaches and made 2 dozen 1/2 pints of peach freezer jam.
Just yesterday I picked 6 zucchinis out of our garden and pureed all of them. I now have 20 cups of pureed zucchini in my freezer for all kinds of zucchini baked goods through the winter.
The summer harvest has been good to us so far.... and we're not done yet. We still have broccoli, cauliflower, onions, zucchini, tomatoes, and almonds to harvest. The term "year's supply" has certainly taken on a new meaning. We're hoping all this produce will last us a full year and that we get the same great harvest next summer!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun!! I love that the boys are enjoying being little farmers. They are learning new things all the time. That's what makes them sooooo smart:)

Anonymous said...

SO impressive! And if you ever have any extra you want to get off your hands, give me a call ;)

(I'm shocked at how much Q looks like Corbin in that picture of him in the tree!)