Tuesday, July 21, 2009

SWEET Summer!

The night we drove home from California is the night we moved into our new home in Provo. Yeah.... we finally have our own place again! We are so grateful to Jeff's parents for allowing us to invade their home for a few months. We know we are both enjoying our own spaces again for the first time since April. Anyway, I was amazed that Jeff had done so much moving and unpacking all on his own (with much help from his family). What a good daddy and husband.
But that is all for another post another time. The point is that having a home again means new and different adventures, such as raspberry harvesting! The first week in our house we took a break from unpacking to pick all the fresh, ripe raspberries in our backyard. Can't take the credit for them, but we sure have enjoyed them. Corbin helped me pick loads of red berries.
But, they have stickers on them so he could only handle so much picking before he was done.
So, I picked the rest and we had the entire blue bowl full on our first pick!
Quinton couldn't hold back...
...and dug right in! MMmmmm.... sweetness.
I filled almost a whole freezer bag on the first harvest and got another bag just as full a few days later.
After the berries were tucked safely away the boys were ready for some sprinkler fun. What else says summer than running in the sprinklers on a warm (93*) day? Besides, I enjoyed the view of the Wasatch mountains from the lawn chair in my backyard as I watched my boys play... (Right behind that tree is the 'Y', it's hard to see through the branches, but it's there.)
After running in the water for a while Corbin was disappointed that Quinton didn't want a part in in it so he improvised by filling bucket after bucket of water for Q to splash in.
Such a good big brother.
Once we'd had enough sun we came inside and made raspberry freezer jam.... YUM!
Sun, water, and fresh raspberries = 1 sweet summer!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I was hoping you'd make jam. YUM. I'm LOVING that cute little house!

Anonymous said...

My heavens those raspberries look amazing! Maybe I'll have to come over and "steal" some from your yard :)

Anonymous said...

So glad you are enjoying your first home in Utah....I know there will be many fun and memorable experiences there! I took pictures of where we were living when each of my children were born.
It is fun to show them now that they are grown.

THE LIFE OF THE CHRISTENSEN'S said...

We sure loved your fresh raspberry jam! Thank you for sharing with us.

Unknown said...

a great find for panda fanatic!
my roommate and i LOVE this Morn Creations bag
hkpanda.freetzi.com

Natalie Sue said...

Your house looks so cute! We need to come and visit you and Tiff.

Jennifer Parcell said...

K so if you see a dark shadow in your back yard late at night, know that is me,I am stealing raspberries and I will have a red ring around my mouth! I love fresh picked raspberries, they are one of my summertime fav's! LUCKY!

Mandy said...

Holly, I picked raspberries and made jam when we got home from CA too! Great minds...

Alicia said...

I've been catching up on your summer adventures! How wonderful that you are settled in your home now! And RASPBERRIES! I'm so jealous! Also, that marshmallow fight is so odd! haha... Cam would have been right in on THAT! And by the way, your apron is darling!!!

brittney said...

you have raspberries in your backyard!!??! lucky i don't live up there... otherwise i just might eat them all. so jealous!!