Friday, February 13, 2009

Obsessions...

...Balls & Rocks
Does anyone know what it is about boys' obsessions for things like soccer balls and rocks?
Ever since he could hold both items in his hand, Corbin has been OBSESSED...
He thinks this blue shirt is his soccer uniform and he wants to wear it everyday... and asks me to take him to soccer practice. On our mild winter days he loves going outside to kick around his soccer and bouncy balls, shoot the basketball, hit the baseball... and pick up rocks.
Here's a glimpse into the mindset of a 2 year old boy:
Video to come
Quinton is sure to pick up on the same obsessions because he watches Corbin's every move like a hawk and "talks" to him in his own baby-brother language!

That mischievous face usually means we'll find some rocks in the fountain as well as a few in the pockets of his pants and jacket...
... but I stand corrected, these are not just rocks, they are "treasures Mom-- see?" (in that reverent whisper voice).
When I was a kid, I didn't mind playing with balls (I was sandwiched between 2 brothers and had a sport fanatic of a dad) and I actually played on the basketball team in Junior High, so that part makes me hopeful about Corbin, but I really cared less about rocks.... that's the boy thing that intrigues me. I guess it means he's got a great imagination... he sometimes finds "special" ones or names some of them and finds special spots for others. Now, if only we could drive it home that we only throw BALLS, not rocks!

3 comments:

Jennifer Parcell said...

It is a boy thing! But it is so sweet that he calls them his treasures! He is adorable! I still find rocks and other "treasures" in my wash all the time! THe boys and the girls!

Anonymous said...

I think they need to rewrite the saying "What are little boys made of? Snips and snails and puppy dogs' tails," and add rocks and soccer balls in there somewhere....

Mandy said...

Kimball has this same fascination! He will even use his binky as a ball. Because we are inside so much, darn rain!!!, he has taken up baseball. Anything longer than 2 inches has become a bat...a crayon, the remote, my mascara. He likes me to toss his "ball" at the "bat!" I wish our two ball obsessed boys could play together! Can you imagine what they would come up with?