Friday, August 8, 2008

08.08.08: Beijing and the Olympics

Tonight is the Opening Ceremonies for the 2008 Beijing Olympic games:

"The ceremony began at 8 p.m. local time (8 a.m. ET) on the eighth day of the eighth month of 2008 -- that, in a country where eight is the luckiest number. The opening was an artistic mix of performance and light depicting China's 5,000 years of history"(CNN).

"Fireworks, athletes and pageantry on a scale never before seen in the Olympics opened the Summer Games in Beijing on Friday, as the Asian nation kicked off the biggest and most scrutinized Games in history"(CNN).
I love to watch the Olympics... especially the summer games.... and especially in a country seeped in so much controversy. I think a successful Olympic games in Beijing (meaning no huge rioting or human rights catastrophe) will be a large indication of China's progress and of the purpose of the Olympic Games... which is to bring athletes from nations around the globe to compete fairly for medals and records and titles. I think this Olympic host nation (China) has a lot to prove and a lot to gain from hosting athletes and spectators from around the globe on its world stage. So, which sport is your favorite or least favorite to watch? Personally I'm a swimming, synchro, diving, gymnastics and track and field fan. As a BYU Alumnist I also try to keep my eyes on those from my Alma Mater. Go here to view the BYU athletes who are Olympic hopefuls. In any case: Go Team USA!

3 comments:

The Jackson Family said...

Hi HOlly! It's Jessica Jackson! I just thought i would say "Hi" your little family is so cute:)

Kate said...

I loved this post so much that it inspired me to write my own Olympics post. Yay for the Olympics!

Mandy said...

I posted our "Olympic" moments too! You are such an inspiration Holly!